The Badminton World Federation (BWF) has decided to reschedule the World Junior Championships, which was slated to be held in Auckland, New Zealand in September this year. The tournament will now be held from January 11-24, 2021.
The event will be preceded by the World Junior Mixed Team Championships with the BWF scheduling it from January 11 to 16.
BWF Secretary General Thomas Lund said: “With all things considered, we believe the move is the best option in order to avoid any possible complexities linked to travel and other lingering COVID-19-related impacts.
“We look forward to working with Badminton New Zealand to put on a great show in Auckland.”
Badminton New Zealand Chief Executive Joe Hitchcock exuded confidence that players and supporters will have an unforgettable experience when the event eventually takes place.
“At the moment, the uncertainty of the global situation is challenging but we will work closely with the BWF and our event partners on plans for a rescheduled event. And we fully understand that we are guided by New Zealand Government regulations and international border control measures,” Hitchcock said.
“When the time is right, we will welcome the world”s best young badminton talent to Auckland because we know that teams travelling to New Zealand will have the experience of a lifetime, and the event with leave a lasting positive legacy,” he added.
The BWF last week unveiled a revamped tournament calendar for the remainder of 2020 following disruptions caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, in which it announced that badminton action will resume with the Hyderabad Open in August.