Union Home Minister, yesterday said that the first complete draft of the National Register of Citizens (NRC) that was published on the day, is not the final list, and urged the opposition not to politicise it.
“Whatever work is going on in the NRC, is happening under the supervision of the Supreme Court. To say that the government has done it, and it is inhuman and brutal…such allegations are baseless.
“It is not the right thing to say,” Rajnath Singh told the Lok Sabha during Zero Hour.
The first draft comprising the names of 2,89,83,677 people of Assam was published online by the Registrar General of India.
The Minister said: “There is no question of any coercive action against anyone. The NRC process is being carried out with complete fairness and transparency.”
Urging not to create panic, Singh also said that if anyone was not satisfied with the first draft of the NRC, that person would get an opportunity to file claims and objections as per provisions in the law and later also approach the Foreigner’s Tribunal.
“Some people are unnecessarily trying to create an atmosphere of fear. I want to assure all that there is no need for any apprehension or fear. Some misinformation is also being spread.
“The NRC process has been done impartially. Some people may not have been able to submit necessary documents. They will get full opportunity through Claims and Objections process.
“Definitely, they will get justice. There is no need to create panic unnecessarily,” Rajnath Singh said.
The senior BJP leader said: “Today NRC draft list has been published in Assam. I want to emphatically say that this is only a draft and not the final NRC.
“I want to clarify that even after the final NRC, every person will get an opportunity to approach the Foreigners Tribunal.”
Around 40 lakh people have been left out of the list. The first list of the NRC process was released in December 31 last year, in which around 1.9 crore people out of the total applications of 3.29 crore people were included.
“People whose names do not figure, they will get the opportunity for claims and objections after August 28.
“They can file it for two-three months based on the deadline which will be fixed. After that its disposal will begin. The Supreme Court will take a decision on it. We cannot do anything about it,” said Rajnath Singh.
“The disposal of claims and objections will take place at the higher administrative level,” he added.
Appealing to the House, the Minister said: “This is a very sensitive issue. Everyone should lend their support. I want to make it clear…you can express your anger…but let me tell you that government is not doing anything…everything is being done under the supervision of Supreme Court.”
“If you are saying so…, then I want to urge the House that the opposition should decide what is government’s role.
Don’t level baseless allegations. Such sensitive issues should not be unnecessarily politicised,” he added.