The scenario in Delhi University is that if you want to fight in election then you need to make a student union and most of the students unions are funded and taken care by political bodies like ABVP or NSUI. Also, DUSU (Delhi University Students Union) elections are considered the most high profile student union elections in the country as they provide an opportunity to enter directly into local and national politics. Arun Jaitely, current finance minister, was a member of DUSU. The University of Delhi has a long history of student political activity.
Lets see what all can be the major factors
1. Delhi University is country’s one of the most important educational institution. The university is an integral part of Delhi itself.
2. Delhi being the capital city is a battleground of the most political affairs. Everything is controlled from the capital. War room you can call it.
3. Being the largest university of the country, the sentiment of the students here usually reflect the sentiment of the young generation or atleast the majority of them.
4. Backed by data. Delhi legislative elctions. From 2000-2013 NSUI (congress student wing) ruled DUSU. Only 3 terms out of 13 saw ABVP (BJP student wing) as the winner. Also during this same period Congress was at the centre and in Delhi.
5. After that teh last 3 terms have gone to ABVP. Similarly at the centre BJP is there and in Delhi Legislative elections we had BJP in the lead.
6. Only this time we had AAP in power in Delhi. But CYSS (AAP Student wing) being formed lately doesnt have any proper leadership. Thus CYSS didnt perform well this time. Or maybe we had some other reasons which i’m aware.
7. This time we had ABVP winning all the 4 seats may also reflect that students still have hope left in BJP and are not completely sidelining them. Another reason maybe that they arent happy with AAP govt in power.
Overall i would say that the student community reflect a major sentiment which cant be ignored at all. Also the same people vote in the centre or state elections too. Its infact good to see more involvement of the students in politics and choosing their future leaders. Good for the country as well.